Sunday, July 26, 2009

Freaking Out The Neighbors

With just 9 weeks remaining until the kick-off to archery season, I decided to engage in a little target practice this afternoon. But I needed to take my skills to the next level. So I drug my climbing stand out of the basement and strapped it to the big hickory in my backyard. I climbed up about 20 feet and commenced to shoot at my Block target from about 20 yards. I thought by actually shooting from my stand it would simulate shooting at a whitetail in the field and would force me to take in account the angle of elevation instead of just shooting from the flat ground.

It worked. I found that I needed to hold my pin a little higher from my elevated position since my arrows were hitting a hair too low. ( I assume this is why I didn't put down that 8 Pointer last season)

After shooting my quiver empty in the sweltering Georgia heat, I took a moment to relax in my stand before climbing down. There was a nice breeze blowing and I kinda enjoyed sitting 20 feet off the ground-it allowed me to view my backyard from a whole new perspective. Anyway, while I was chillaxing and soaking up some rays in my stand, some Yuppie couple from down the street walked by and I noticed they paused and looked at me like I was crazy. I'm sure they thought I was some kind of hillbilly-psycho/militia/survivalist kook getting ready for the Apocalypse. After staring at me for several seconds they took off back up the street with a noticeable quickened pace.

I love freaking out the urbanites.

No comments: