Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Big Snow

The local weathermen here in Atlanta are calling for the possibility of snow in the next couple of days. I'm not holding my breath though. Since moving here over eight years ago, we're only had a handful of snowfalls in the metro-area, and even those haven't really been anything to write home about; just some light dustings with no real accumulation. Still even at the age of thirty five, I get as excited as a seven year old at the hint of snow.

I really miss the big snowfalls of my childhood in the mountains of Western North Carolina. When the conditions were just right which meant an Arctic blast from Canada colliding with moisture from the Gulf, we would get some really heavy snowfalls. Now I don't buy into Owl Gore and his whole Man-made Global Warming doomsday hysteria, but the weather patterns definitely have changed over the past decade or so. The mountains just don't get the snow like they used to.

So, in the event we get some white stuff in the next couple of days, I've decided to post a story written by my grandfather Robert Bryson. The story was found in one of his old notebooks that he kept by is old chair in the front room of his house.

These are his own words.


THE BIG SNOW

The big snow of March 2, 1960. The snow started falling about 6 o’clock in the morning. The temperature was 22 degrees above freeezing. Almost beautiful snow. It kept falling steadily until about 4 o’clock. It was eight inches deep when I left for work at 2 o’clock. We went in Russell’s truck. It was very slow traveling , we were a few minutes late for work. It was ten inches deep at 4 o’clock when it turned into sleet, it sleeted four or five inches on top of the snow. I worked over and trucked cloth, Russell went by Hendersonville to get to Davenports Store and walked on home. I got J.D. McClure to bring me to Davenports when I got off from work, I walked on home. I went to bed and slept until one o’clock. It was 18 degrees on the Thursday morning when I walked home. It stayed cloudy most of the day. Sidney took me to work in the jeep. I rode home that night to Danvenports Store with Stanberry Franklin. We went around by the Country Home Road. I walked up from Davenports. I almost froze walking home. It was down to 0 degrees on Friday morning, March 4th.

No comments: